Students Under 18

Aussie Visa Services / Students Under 18

Students Under 18  


In Australian Law, an individual under 18 is not yet an adult. So, certain requirements apply to these students: 

  1. The student’s parent or guardian must sign the application form.
  2. The student must show that she/he will either:
  • G o into care arrangements that have been approved by the education provider (see CAAW below), OR
  • L ive in Australia with a parent or legal custodian,OR


  • L ive in Australia with a relative over 21 years-of-age who is nominated by a parent or custodian.


If the student will be living with a relative (but not the parent), the nominated relative must: 

  • Be a brother, sister, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece or step-nephew,
  • Be aged over 21 years,
  • Have the right to remain in Australia until the visa expires or the student turns 18 years-of-age (whichever happens first), AND
  • Have a police clearance check.

  Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW ).


The student’s parents or custodian need to prove that the nominated relative meets these criteria.


If a younger student is NOT living with a parent or suitable relative, the education provider must sign for DIBP a letter called the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW):approving the student’s living and welfare arrangements before the student visa can be issued. The provider must nominate two dates:

  1. when the provider has elected to begin taking responsibility for the student’s welfare, AND
  2. when the provider will cease to take responsibility for approving the welfare arrangements for that student.

If a student’s welfare arrangements are approved by education provider students must not travel to Australia until the welfare arrangements are due to commence. Dates are nominated by the provider.


Guardian Visas


Parents may be able to obtain a guardian visa to travel to Australia and look after their child.


The student must not remain in Australia when their legal guardian is not in Australia.


In some special circumstances, guardian visas can be obtained to look after students who are over 18 years old.